- [noun] someone who takes the place of another person
Synonyms: surrogate, replacement
- [verb] go back and forth; swing back and forth between two states or conditions
- [verb] exchange people temporarily to fulfill certain jobs and functions
- [verb] be an understudy or alternate for a role
- [verb] reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action)
Synonyms: interchange, tack, switch, flip, flip-flop
- [verb] do something in turns; "We take turns on the night shift"
Synonyms: take turns
- [adjective] every second one of a series; "the cleaning lady comes on alternate Wednesdays"; "jam every other day"- the White Queen
- [adjective] allowing a choice; "an alternative plan"
- [adjective] occurring by turns; first one and then the other; "alternating feelings of love and hate"
- [adjective] of leaves and branches etc; first on one side and then on the other in two ranks along an axis; not paired; "stems with alternate leaves"