- [verb] regard something as probable or likely; "The meteorologists are expecting rain for tomorrow"
- [verb] act in advance of; deal with ahead of time
Synonyms: foresee, forestall, counter
- [verb] realize beforehand
Synonyms: previse, foreknow, foresee
- [verb] make a prediction about; tell in advance; "Call the outcome of an election"
Synonyms: predict, foretell, prognosticate, call, forebode, promise
- [verb] be excited or anxious about
Synonyms: look for, look to
- [verb] be a forerunner of or occur earlier than; "This composition anticipates Impressionism"
think, opine, suppose, imagine, reckon, guess
assume, presume, take for granted
speculate, theorize, theorise, conjecture, hypothesize, hypothesise, hypothecate, suppose
apprehend, quail at