- [verb] travel up, "We ascended the mountain"; "go up a ladder"; "The mountaineers slowly ascended the steep slope"
Synonyms: go up
- [verb] go back in order of genealogical succession; "Inheritance may not ascend linearly"
- [verb] become king or queen; "She ascended to the throne after the King's death"
- [verb] go along towards (a river's) source; "The boat ascended the Delaware"
- [verb] slope upwards; "The path ascended to the top of the hill"
- [verb] come up, of celestial bodies; "The sun also rises"; "The sun uprising sees the dusk night fled..."; "Jupiter ascends"
Synonyms: rise, come up, uprise