- [verb] stay clear from; keep away from; keep out of the way of someone or something; "Her former friends now avoid her"
- [verb] prevent the occurrence of; prevent from happening; "Let's avoid a confrontation"; "head off a confrontation"; "avert a strike"
Synonyms: debar, obviate, deflect, avert, head off, stave off, fend off, ward off
- [verb] refrain from doing something; "She refrains from calling her therapist too often"; "He should avoid publishing his wife's memoires"
- [verb] refrain from certain foods or beverages; "I keep off drugs"; "During Ramadan, Muslims avoid tobacco during the day"
Synonyms: keep off
- [verb] declare invalid; "The contract was annulled"; "void a plea"
Synonyms: invalidate, annul, quash, void, nullify
hedge, fudge, evade, put off, circumvent, parry, elude, skirt, dodge, duck, sidestep
get off, get away, get by, get out, escape
bypass, short-circuit, go around, get around
keep off, stay off
- shy away from
fiddle, shirk, shrink from, goldbrick