- [verb] give moral or psychological support, aid, or courage to; "She supported him during the illness"; "Her children always backed her up"
- [verb] move backwards from a certain position; "The bully had to back down"
Synonyms: back off, back down
- [verb] establish as valid or genuine; "Can you back up your claims?"
- [verb] make a copy of (a computer file) especially for storage in another place as a security cop; "You'd better back up these files!"
- [verb] become or cause to become obstructed; "The leaves clog our drains in the Fall"; "The water pipe is backed up"
Synonyms: clog, choke off, clog up, congest, choke, foul
patronize, patronise, shop, shop at, buy at, frequent, sponsor
help, assist, aid
promote, advance, boost, further, encourage
second, back, endorse, indorse
stuff, lug, choke up, block
silt up, silt