- [verb] exert a force with a heavy weight; "The snow bore down on the roof"
Synonyms: drag down, on, press down on, weigh down
- [verb] to make a rush at or sudden attack upon, as in battle; "he saw Jess charging at him with a pitchfork"
- [verb] contract the abdominal muscles during childbirth to ease delivery
- [verb] exert full strength; "The pitcher bore down"
- [verb] pay special attention to; "The lectures bore down on the political background"
- [verb] exert a force or cause a strain upon; "This tax bears down on the lower middle class"