- [noun] insect having biting mouthparts and front wings modified to form horny covers overlying the membranous rear wings
- [noun] a tool resembling a hammer but with a large head (usually wooden); used to drive wedges or ram down paving stones or for crushing or beating or flattening or smoothing
- [verb] be suspended over or hang over; "This huge rock beetles over the edge of the town"
- [verb] fly or go in a manner resembling a beetle; "He beetled up the staircase"; "They beetled off home"
- [verb] beat with a beetle
- [adjective] jutting or overhanging; "beetle brows"
- tiger beetle
- ladybug, ladybeetle, lady beetle, ladybird, ladybird beetle
- ground beetle, carabid beetle
- firefly, lightning bug
- long-horned beetle, longicorn, longicorn beetle
- leaf beetle, chrysomelid
- carpet beetle, carpet bug
- clerid beetle, clerid
- lamellicorn beetle
- elaterid beetle, elater, elaterid
- water beetle
- whirligig beetle
- deathwatch beetle, deathwatch, Xestobium rufovillosum
- blister beetle, meloid
- bark beetle
- rove beetle
- Asian longhorned beetle, Anoplophora glabripennis
- carpenter's mallet