- [noun] an injury that doesn't break the skin but results in some discoloration
- [verb] injure the underlying soft tissue of bone of; "I bruised my knee"
- [verb] hurt the feelings of; "She hurt me when she did not include me among her guests"; "This remark really bruised me ego"
Synonyms: hurt, wound, injure, offend, spite
- [verb] break up into small pieces for food preparation; "bruise the berries with a wooden spoon and strain them"
- [verb] damage (plant tissue) by abrasion of pressure; "The customer bruised the strawberries by squeezing them"