- [noun] an officer holding a rank below a major but above a lieutenant
- [noun] the naval officer in command of a military ship
- [noun] a policeman in charge of a precinct
Synonyms: police police chief
- [noun] an officer who is licensed to command a merchant ship
Synonyms: master, sea skipper
- [noun] the leader of a group of people; "a captain of industry"
- [noun] the pilot ins charge of an airship
Synonyms: senior pilot
- [noun] a diningroom attendant who is in charge of the waiters and the seating of customers
Synonyms: headwaiter, maitre d'hotel, maitre d'
- [verb] be the captain of a sports team