- [noun] a seat for one person, with a support for the back; "he put his coat over the back of the chair and sat down"
- [noun] the position of professor; "he was awarded an endowed chair in economics"
- [noun] the officer who presides at the meetings of an organization; "address your remarks to the chairperson"
Synonyms: president, man, woman, person
- [noun] an instrument of execution by electrocution; resembles a chair; "the murderer was sentenced to die in the chair"
Synonyms: electric death hot seat
- [verb] act or preside as chair, as of an academic department in a university; "She chaired the department for many years"
- [verb] preside over; "John moderated the discussion"
Synonyms: moderate, lead