- [verb] examine so as to determine accuracy, quality, or condition; "check the brakes"; "Check out the engine"
Synonyms: check, check up on, look into, suss out, check over, go over, check into
- [verb] announce one's departure from a hotel
- [verb] be verified or confirmed; pass inspection; "These stories don't check!"
- [verb] trace; "We are running down a few tips"
Synonyms: run down
- [verb] record, add up, and receive payment for items purchased; "She was checking out the apples that the customer had put on the conveyer belt"
- [verb] withdraw money by writing a check
- [verb] try to learn someone's opinions and intentions; "I have to sound out the new professor"
Synonyms: sound out, feel out