- [noun] (psychoanalysis) an unconscious process whereby two ideas or images combine into a single symbol; especially in dreams
- [noun] the process of changing from a gaseous to a liquid or solid state
- [noun] atmospheric moisture that has condensed because of cold
- [noun] the process or result of becoming smaller or pressed together; "the contraction of a gas on cooling"
Synonyms: compression, contraction
- [noun] a shortened version of a written work
Synonyms: abridgement, abridgment, capsule
- [noun] the act of increasing the density of something