- [noun] a gathering of persons representative of some larger group; "each nation sent a contingent of athletes to the Olympics"
- [noun] a temporary military unit; "the peace-keeping force includes one British contingent"
- [adjective] possible but not certain to occur; "they had to plan for contingent expenses"
- [adjective] determined by conditions or circumstances not yet established; "arms sales contingent on the approval of congress"
Synonyms: on, dependent on, dependant on, depending on
- [adjective] uncertain because of uncontrollable circumstances; "the results of confession were not contingent, they were certain"- George Eliot