- [noun] an equivalent counterbalancing weight
Synonyms: counterweight, counterpoise, balance, equalizer, equaliser
- [noun] equality of distribution
Synonyms: balance, equilibrium, equipoise
- [noun] a compensating equivalent
- [verb] adjust or make up for; "engineers will work to correct the effects or air resistance"
Synonyms: compensate, correct, even out, even off, even up
- [verb] oppose with equal weight or force
- [verb] oppose and mitigate the effects of by contrary actions; "This will counteract the foolish actions of my colleagues"
Synonyms: counteract, countervail, neutralize