- [noun] the event of dying or departure from life; "her death came as a terrible shock"; "upon your decease the capital will pass to your grandchildren"
- [noun] the permanent end of all life functions in an organism or part of an organism; "the animal died a painful death"
- [noun] the time at which life ends; continuing until dead; "she stayed until his death"; "a struggle to the last"
- [noun] the personification of death; "Death walked the streets of the plague-bound city"
- [noun] the absence of life or state of being dead; "he seemed more content in death than he had ever been in life"
- [noun] the time when something ends; "it was the death of all his plans"; "a dying of old hopes"
Synonyms: dying, demise
- [noun] the act of killing; "he had two deaths on his conscience"
- [noun] a final state; "he came to a bad end"; "the so-called glorious experiment came to an inglorious end"
Synonyms: end, destruction
fatality, human death
passing, loss, departure, exit, expiration, going, release
- wrongful death
necrobiosis, cell death
necrosis, mortification, gangrene, sphacelus
brain death, cerebral death
Grim Reaper, Reaper
rest, eternal rest, sleep, eternal sleep, quietus
- neonatal death
sudden infant death syndrome, SIDS, infant death, crib death, cot death