- [adjective] permitting little if any light to pass through because of denseness of matter; "dense smoke"; "heavy fog"; "impenetrable gloom"
Synonyms: heavy, impenetrable
- [adjective] closely crowded together; "a compact shopping center"; "a dense population"; "thick crowds"
Synonyms: compact, thick
- [adjective] hard to pass through because of dense growth; "dense vegetation"; "thick woods"
- [adjective] having high relative density or specific gravity; "dense as lead"
- [adjective] slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity; "so dense he never understands anything I say to him"; "never met anyone quite so dim"; "although dull at classical learning, at mathematics he was uncommonly quick"- Thackeray; "dumb officials make some really dumb decisions"; "he was either normally stupid or being deliberately obtuse"; "worked with the slow students"
Synonyms: dim, dull, dumb, obtuse, slow