- [verb] mark as different; "We distinguish several kinds of maple"
Synonyms: distinguish, separate, secern, secernate, severalize, severalise, tell, tell apart
- [verb] be a distinctive feature, attribute, or trait; sometimes in a very positive sense; "His modesty distinguishes him form his peers"
Synonyms: distinguish, mark
- [verb] calculate a derivative; take the derivative
- [verb] become different during development; "cells differentiate"
- [verb] evolve so as to lead to a new species or develop in a way most suited to the environment
Synonyms: speciate, specialize, specialise
- [verb] become distinct and acquire a different character