- [noun] a person who is older than you are
- [noun] any of numerous shrubs or small trees of temperate and subtropical northern hemisphere having white flowers and berrylike fruit
Synonyms: berry bush
- [noun] any of various church officers
- [adjective] used of the older of two persons of the same name especially used to distinguish a father from his son; "Bill Adams, Sr."
Synonyms: older, sr.
- [adjective] older brother or sister; "big sister"
Synonyms: big, older
- dean, doyen
- American elder, black elderberry, sweet elder, Sambucus canadensis
- blue elder, blue elderberry, Sambucus caerulea
- dwarf elder, danewort, Sambucus ebulus
- bourtree, black elder, common elder, elderberry, European elder, Sambucus nigra
- American red elder, red-berried elder, stinking elder, Sambucus pubens
- European red elder, red-berried elder, Sambucus racemosa