- [adjective] having ones attention or mind or energy engaged; "she keeps herself fully occupied with volunteer activities"; "deeply engaged in conversation"
- [adjective] involved in military hostilities; "the desperately engaged ships continued the fight"
- [adjective] reserved in advance
Synonyms: booked, set-aside
- [adjective] (of facilities such as telephones or lavatories) unavailable for use by anyone else or indicating unavailability; (`engaged' is a British term for a busy telephone line); "her line is busy"; "receptionists' telephones are always engaged"; "the lavatory is in use"; "kept getting a busy signal"
Synonyms: busy, in use
- [adjective] (used of toothed parts or gears) interlocked and interacting; "the gears are engaged"; "meshed gears"; "intermeshed twin rotors"
Synonyms: meshed, intermeshed
- [adjective] having services contracted for; "the carpenter engaged (or employed) for the job is sick"
- [adjective] built against or attached to a wall; "engaged columns"
- [adjective] pledged to be married; "the engaged couple"
Synonyms: affianced, bespoken, betrothed, pledged