- [noun] any light downy material
- [noun] something of little value or significance
Synonyms: bagatelle, frippery, frivolity
- [noun] a blunder (especially an actor's forgetting the lines)
- [verb] make a mess of, destroy or ruin; "I botched the dinner and we had to eat out"; "the pianist screwed up the difficult passage in the second movement"
Synonyms: botch, bumble, fumble, botch up, muff, blow, flub, screw up, ball up, spoil, muck up, bungle, bollix, bollix up, bollocks, bollocks up, bobble, mishandle, louse up, foul up, mess up, fuck up
- [verb] erect or fluff up; "the bird ruffled its feathers"
- [verb] ruffle (one's hair) by combing towards the ends towards the scalp, for a full effect