- [noun] a small hard particle; "a grain of sand"
- [noun] foodstuff prepared from the starchy grains of cereal grasses
Synonyms: food cereal
- [noun] used for pearls or diamonds: 50 mg or 1/4 carat
- [noun] 1/60 dram; equals an avoirdupois grain or 64.799 milligrams
- [noun] 1/7000 pound; equals a troy grain or 64.799 milligrams
- [noun] dry seedlike fruit produced by the cereal grasses: e.g. wheat, barley, Indian corn
- [noun] the direction or texture of fibers found in wood or leather or stone or in a woven fabric; "saw the board across the grain"
- [verb] thoroughly work in; "His hands were grained with dirt"
- [verb] paint (a surface) to make it look like stone or wood
- [verb] form into grains
- [verb] become granular