- [noun] a tool consisting of several hooks for grasping and holding; often thrown with a rope
Synonyms: grapnel, grappling hook, grappling iron
- [noun] a dredging bucket with hinges like the shell of a clam
- [noun] the act of engaging in close hand-to-hand combat; "they had a fierce wrestle"; "we watched his grappling and wrestling with the bully"
Synonyms: wrestle, wrestling, grappling, hand-to-hand struggle
- [verb] come to terms or deal successfully with; "We got by on just a gallon of gas"; "They made do on half a loaf of bread every day"
Synonyms: cope, get by, make out, make do, contend, deal, manage
- [verb] to grip or seize, as in a wrestling match; "the two men grappled with each other for several minutes"
scrape along, scrape by, scratch along, squeak by, squeeze by, rub along
meet, match, cope with