- [noun] (poetic) tranquil silence; "the still of the night"
Synonyms: stillness, still
- [verb] become quiet or still; fall silent; "hush my babay!"
- [verb] cause to be quiet or not talk; "Please silence the children in the church!"
Synonyms: quieten, silence, still, shut up, up
- [verb] become quiet or quieter; "The audience fell silent when the speaker entered"
Synonyms: quieten, quiet, quiesce, quiet down, pipe down
- [verb] wash by removing particles; "Wash ores"
- [verb] run water over the ground to erode (soil), revealing the underlying strata and valuable minerals