- [noun] a colloquial expression for invitation; "he didn't get no invite to the party"
- [verb] increase the likelihood of; "ask for trouble"; "invite criticism"
Synonyms: ask for
- [verb] invite someone to one's house; "Can I invite you for dinner on Sunday night?"
Synonyms: ask over, ask round
- [verb] give rise to a desire by being attractive or inviting; "the window displays tempted the shoppers"
- [verb] ask someone in a friendly way to do something
- [verb] have as a guest; "I invited them to a restaurant"
Synonyms: pay for
- [verb] ask to enter; "We invited the neighbors in for a cup of coffee"
Synonyms: ask in
- [verb] request the participation or presence of; "The organizers invite submissions of papers for the conference"
Synonyms: call for
- [verb] express willingness to have in one's home or environs; "The community warmly received the refugees"
Synonyms: receive, take in