- [noun] a tight cluster of people or things; "a small knot of women listened to his sermon"
- [noun] any of various fastenings formed by looping and tying a rope (or cord) upon itself or to another rope or to another object
- [noun] a hard cross-grained round piece of wood in a board where a branch emerged; "the saw buckled when it hit a knot"
- [noun] something twisted and tight and swollen; "their muscles stood out in knots"; "the old man's fists were two great gnarls"; "his stomach was in knots"
- [noun] a unit of length used in navigation; equivalent to the distance spanned by one minute of arc in latitude; 1,852 meters
Synonyms: nautical mile, mile, mi, naut mi, international nautical mile, air mile
- [noun] soft lump or unevenness in a yarn; either an imperfection or created by design
Synonyms: slub, burl
- [noun] a sandpiper that breeds in the arctic and winters in the southern hemisphere
Synonyms: grayback, Calidris canutus
- [verb] make into knots; make knots out of; "She knotted der fingers"
- [verb] tie or fasten into a knot; "knot the shoelaces"
- [verb] tangle or complicate; "a ravelled story"
Synonyms: ravel, tangle