- [noun] a cry of sorrow and grief; "their pitiful laments could be heard throughout the ward"
Synonyms: ation, plaint, wail
- [noun] a song or hymn of mourning composed or performed as a memorial to a dead person
Synonyms: dirge, coronach, requiem, threnody
- [noun] a mournful poem; a lament for the dead
- [verb] express grief verbally; "we lamented the death of the child"
- [verb] regret strongly; "I deplore this hostile action"; "we lamented the loss of benefits"
Synonyms: deplore, bewail, bemoan