- [noun] a state of confusion and disorderliness; "the house was a mess"; "she smoothed the mussiness of the bed"
Synonyms: iness, muss, mussiness
- [noun] informal terms for a difficult situation; "he got into a terrible fix"; "he made a muddle of his marriage"
Synonyms: fix, hole, jam, muddle, pickle, kettle of fish
- [noun] soft semiliquid food; "a mess of porridge"
- [noun] a meal eaten by service personnel
- [noun] a (large) military dining room where service personnel eat or relax
- [noun] (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent; "a batch of letters"; "a deal of trouble"; "a lot of money"; "he made a mint on the stock market"; "it must have cost plenty"
Synonyms: batch, deal, flock, good deal, great deal, hatful, heap, lot, mass, mickle, mint, muckle, peck, pile, plenty, pot, quite a little, raft, sight, slew, spate, stack, tidy sum, wad, whole lot, whole slew
- [verb] eat in a mess hall
- [verb] make a mess of or create disorder in; "He messed up his room"