- [noun] an original creation (i.e., an audio recording) from which copies can be made
Synonyms: master, master copy
- [noun] an original model on which something is patterned
Synonyms: archetype, pilot
- [adjective] preceding all others in time or being as first made or performed; "the original inhabitants of the Americas"; "the book still has its original binding"; "restored the house to its original condition"; "the original performance of the opera"; "the original cast"; "retracted his original statement"
- [adjective] (of e.g. information) not secondhand or by way of something intermediary; "his work is based on only original, not secondary, sources"
- [adjective] being or productive of something fresh and unusual; or being as first made or thought of; "a truly original approach"; "with original music"; "an original mind"
- [adjective] not derived or copied or translated from something else; "the play is original; not an adaptation"; "he kept the original copy and gave her only a xerox"; "the translation misses much of the subtlety of the original French"