- [verb] yield a profit or result; "His efforts finally paid off"
- [verb] eliminate by paying off (debts)
- [verb] pay off (loans or promissory notes)
- [verb] do or give something to somebody in return; "Does she pay you for the work you are doing?"
Synonyms: pay, make up, compensate
- [verb] pay someone with influence in order to receive a favor
Synonyms: buy off
- [verb] take vengeance on or get even; "We'll get them!"; "That'll fix him good!"; "This time I got him"
Synonyms: pay back, get, fix