- [noun] a domesticated animal kept for companionship or amusement
- [noun] a special loved one
Synonyms: darling, favorite, favourite, dearie, deary, ducky
- [noun] a fit of petulance or sulkiness (especially at what is felt to be a slight)
- [noun] using a computerized radiographic technique to examine the metabolic activity in various tissues (especially in the brain)
Synonyms: positron emission tomography, PET
- [verb] stroke or caress gently; "pet the lamb"
- [verb] stroke or caress in an erotic manner, as during lovemaking
- [adjective] preferred above all others and treated with partiality; "the favored child"
Synonyms: favored, favorite, favourite, preferred