- [noun] blockage consisting of an object designed to fill a hole tightly
Synonyms: stopper, stopple
- [noun] a wad of something chewable as tobacco
Synonyms: chew, chaw, cud, quid, wad
- [noun] blatant or sensational promotion
Synonyms: ballyhoo, hoopla, hype
- [noun] electrical device that fits into the cylinder head of an internal-combustion engine and ignites the gas by means of an electric spark
Synonyms: spark sparking
- [noun] an electrical device with two or three pins that is inserted in a socket to make an electrical connection
- [noun] an upright hydrant for drawing water to use in fighting a fire
Synonyms: firefire hydrant
- [noun] an old or over-worked horse
Synonyms: hack, jade, nag
- [verb] fill or close tightly with or as if with a plug; "plug the hole"; "stop up the leak"
Synonyms: stop up, secure
- [verb] persist in working hard; "Students must plug away at this problem"
- [verb] deliver a quick blow to; "he punched me in the stomach"
- [verb] make a plug for; praise the qualities or in order to sell or promote