- [noun] one of four equal parts; "a quarter of a pound"
Synonyms: one-fourth, fourth, fourth part, twenty-five percent
- [noun] a district of a city having some distinguishing character; "the Latin Quarter"
- [noun] one of four periods of play into which some games are divided; "both teams scored in the first quarter"
- [noun] a unit of time equal to 15 minutes or a quarter of an hour; "it's a quarter til 4"; "a quarter after 4 o'clock"
- [noun] one of four periods into which the school year is divided; "the fall quarter ends at Christmas"
- [noun] a fourth part of a year; three months; "unemployment fell during the last quarter"
- [noun] one of the four major division of the compass; "the wind is coming from that quarter"
- [noun] a quarter of a hundredweight (25 pounds)
- [noun] a quarter of a hundredweight (28 pounds)
- [noun] a United States coin worth one fourth of a dollar; "he fed four quarters into the slot machine"
- [noun] an unspecified person; "he dropped a word in the right quarter"
- [noun] the rear part of a ship
Synonyms: stern, after part, poop, tail
- [noun] piece of leather that comprises the part of a shoe or boot covering the heel and joining the vamp
- [verb] provide housing for (military personnel)
Synonyms: billet, canton
- [verb] pull (a person) apart with four horses tied to his extremities, so as to execute him; "in the old days, people were drawn and quartered for certain crimes"
Synonyms: draw, draw and
- [verb] divide into quarters; "quarter an apple"
- [verb] divide by four; divide into quarters