- [noun] the back of a military formation or procession; "infantrymen were in the rear"
- [noun] the side of an object that is opposite its front; "his room was toward the rear of the hotel"
Synonyms: backside, back end
- [noun] the part of something that is furthest from the normal viewer; "he stood at the back of the stage"; "it was hidden in the rear of the store"
- [noun] the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on; "he deserves a good kick in the butt"; "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
Synonyms: buttocks, nates, arse, butt, backside, bum, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass
- [noun] the side that goes last or is not normally seen; "he wrote the date on the back of the photograph"
- [verb] stand up on the hind legs, of quadrupeds; "The horse reared in terror"
Synonyms: rise up
- [verb] bring up; "raise a family"; "bring up children"
Synonyms: raise, bring up, nurture, parent
- [verb] rise up; "The building rose before them"
Synonyms: rise, lift
- [verb] cause to rise up
- [verb] construct, build, or erect; "Raise a barn"
Synonyms: raise, erect, set up, put up
- [adjective] located in or toward the back or rear; "the chair's rear legs"; "the rear door of the plane"; "on the rearward side"
loom, tower, predominate, hulk
pitch, set up
prick up, prick, cock up
nape, scruff, nucha
stern, after part, quarter, poop, tail
tail, tail assembly, empennage