- [verb] improve or perfect by pruning or polishing; "refine one's style of writing"
Synonyms: polish, fine-tune, down
- [verb] make more complex, intricate, or richer; "refine a design or pattern"
Synonyms: complicate, rarify, elaborate
- [verb] treat or prepare so as to put in a usable condition; "refine paper stock"; "refine pig iron"; "refine oil"
- [verb] reduce to a fine, unmixed, or pure state; separate from extraneous matter or cleanse from impurities; "refine sugar"
- [verb] attenuate or reduce in vigor, strength, or validity by polishing or purifying; "many valuable nutrients are refined out of the foods in our modern diet"
- [verb] make more precise or increase the discriminatory powers of; "refine a method of analysis"; "refine the constant in the equation"