- [noun] a regular payment by a tenant to a landlord for use of some property
- [noun] an opening made forcibly as by pulling apart; "there was a rip in his pants"; "she had snags in her stockings"
Synonyms: rip, snag, split, tear
- [noun] the return derived from cultivated land in excess of that derived from the poorest land cultivated under similar conditions
- [noun] the act of rending or ripping or splitting something; "he gave the envelope a vigorous rip"
Synonyms: rip, split
- [verb] let for money; "We rented our apartment to friends while we were abroad"
- [verb] grant use or occupation of under a term of contract; "I am leasing my country estate to some foreigners"
Synonyms: lease, let
- [verb] engage for service under a term of contract; "We took an apartment on a quiet street"; "Let's rent a car"; "Shall we take a guide in Rome?"
Synonyms: lease, hire, charter, engage, take
- [verb] hold under a lease or rental agreement; of goods and services
Synonyms: hire, charter, lease