- [verb] elude, especially in a baffling way; "This behavior defies explanation"
Synonyms: defy, refuse
- [verb] stand up or offer resistance to somebody or something
Synonyms: hold out, withstand, stand firm
- [verb] express opposition through action or words; "dissent to the laws of the country"
Synonyms: protest, dissent
- [verb] withstand the force of something; "The trees resisted her"; "stand the test of time"; "The mountain climbers had to fend against the ice and snow"
Synonyms: stand, fend
- [verb] resist immunologically the introduction of some foreign tissue or organ; "His body rejected the liver of the donor"
Synonyms: reject, refuse
- [verb] refuse to comply
Synonyms: balk, baulk, jib
stand, remain firm
defy, withstand, hold, hold up
strike, walk out
rebel, arise, rise, rise up