- [verb] put in motion or move to act; "trigger a reaction"; "actuate the circuits"
Synonyms: trip, actuate, trigger, activate, spark off, spark, trigger off, touch off
- [verb] leave; "The family took off for Florida"
Synonyms: depart, part, start, start out, set forth, set out, take off
- [verb] direct attention to, as if by means of contrast; "This dress accentuates your nice figure!"; "I set off these words by brackets"
Synonyms: bring out
- [verb] cause to explode; "We exploded the nuclear bomb"
Synonyms: explode, detonate, blow up
- [verb] make up for; "His skills offset his opponent's superior strength"
Synonyms: cancel, offset
- [verb] set in motion or cause to begin; "The guide set the tour off to a good start"
- [verb] provoke or stir up; "incite a riot"; "set off great unrest among the people"
Synonyms: incite, instigate, stir up