- [verb] make shorter than originally intended; reduce or retrench in length or duration; "He shortened his trip due to illness"
- [verb] reduce in scope while retaining essential elements; "The manuscript must be shortened"
Synonyms: abridge, foreabbreviate, cut, contract, reduce
- [verb] make short or shorter; "shorten the skirt"; "shorten the rope by a few inches"
- [verb] become short or shorter; "In winter, the days shorten"
- [verb] edit by omitting or modifying parts considered indelicate; "bowdlerize a novel"
Synonyms: bowdlerize, bowdlerise, expurgate, castrate