- [verb] make (images or sounds) soft or softer
- [verb] lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall"
Synonyms: dampen, damp, weaken, break
- [verb] give in, as to influence or pressure
Synonyms: yield, relent
- [verb] protect from impact; "cushion the blow"
Synonyms: cushion, buffer
- [verb] make less severe or harsh; "He moderated his tone when the students burst out in tears"
Synonyms: mince, moderate
- [verb] make soft or softer; "This liquid will soften your laundry"
- [verb] become soft or softer; "The bread will soften if you pour some liquid on it"