- [noun] a swift whirling motion (usually of a missile)
- [noun] the act of rotating rapidly; "he gave the crank a spin"; "it broke off after much twisting"
Synonyms: twirl, twist, twisting, whirl
- [noun] a short drive in a car; "he took the new car for a spin"
- [noun] rapid descent of an aircraft in a steep spiral
- [noun] a distinctive interpretation (especially as used by politicians to sway public opinion); "the campaign put a favorable spin on the story"
- [verb] revolve quickly and repeatedly around one's own axis; "The dervishes whirl around and around without getting dizzy"
Synonyms: around, whirl, reel, gyrate
- [verb] stream in jets, of liquids; "The creek spun its course through the woods"
- [verb] cause to spin; "spin a coin"
Synonyms: whirl, birl, twirl
- [verb] make up a story; "spin a yarn"
- [verb] form a web by making a thread; "spiders spin a fine web"
- [verb] work natural fibers into a thread; "spin silk"
- [verb] twist and turn so as to give an intended interpretation; "The President's spokesmen had to spin the story to make it less embarrasing"
- [verb] prolong or extend; "spin out a visit"