- [noun] the undulating movement of the surface of the open sea
Synonyms: crestless wave
- [noun] a rounded elevation (especially one on an ocean floor)
- [noun] a crescendo followed by a decrescendo
- [noun] a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance
Synonyms: dandy, dude, fop, gallant, sheik, beau, fashion plate, clotheshorse
- [verb] increase in size, magnitude, number, or intensity; "The music swelled to a crescendo"
- [verb] become filled with pride, arrogance, or anger; "The mother was swelling with importance when she spoke of her son"
Synonyms: puff up
- [verb] expand abnormally; "The bellies of the starving children are swelling"
Synonyms: up, intumesce, tumefy, tumesce
- [verb] as of feelings and thoughts, or other ephemeral things; "Strong emotions welled up"; "Smoke swelled from it"
Synonyms: well up
- [verb] come up; "Tears well in her eyes"
- [verb] cause to become swollen; "The water swells the wood"
- [adjective] very good; "he did a bully job"; "a neat sports car"; "had a great time at the party"; "you look simply smashing"
Synonyms: bang-up, bully, corking, cracking, dandy, great, groovy, keen, neat, nifty, not bad, peachy, slap-up, smashing
belly, belly out
puff, puff up, blow up, puff out
ground swell, heavy swell
Brummell, George Bryan Brummell, Beau Brummell