- [noun] a grammatical category of verbs used to express distinctions of time
- [verb] stretch or force to the limit; "strain the rope"
- [verb] increase the tension on; "tense a rope"
- [verb] become tense or tenser; "He tensed up when he saw his opponent enter the room"
- [verb] make tense and uneasy or nervous or anxious;
Synonyms: strain, up
- [adjective] in or of a state of physical or nervous tension
- [adjective] pronounced with relatively tense tongue muscles (e.g., the vowel sound in `beat')
- [adjective] taut or rigid; stretched tight; "tense piano strings"
present, present tense
past, past tense
future, future tense
progressive, progressive tense, imperfect, imperfect tense, continuous tense
perfective, perfective tense, perfect, perfect tense