- [noun] a ditch dug as a fortification having a parapet of the excavated earth
- [noun] a long steep-sided depression in the ocean floor
Synonyms: deep, oceanic abyss
- [noun] any long ditch cut in the ground
- [verb] impinge or infringe upon; "This impinges on my rights as an individual"; "This matter entrenches on other domains"
Synonyms: impinge, encroach, en
- [verb] fortify by surrounding with trenches; "He trenched his military camp"
- [verb] cut or carve deeply into; "letters trenched into the stone"
- [verb] set, plant, or bury in a trench; "trench the fallen soldiers"; "trench the vegetables"
- [verb] cut a trench in, as for drainage; "ditch the land to drain it"; "trench the fields"
- [verb] dig a trench or trenches; "The National Guardsmen were sent out to trench"