- [noun] an amount allowed or granted (as during a given period); "travel allowance"; "my weekly allowance of two eggs"; "a child's allowance should not be too generous"
- [noun] a sum granted as reimbursement for expenses
- [noun] an amount added or deducted on the basis of qualifying circumstances; "an allowance for profit"
- [noun] a permissible difference; allowing some freedom to move within limits
Synonyms: leeway, margin, tolerance
- [noun] a reserve fund created by a charge against profits in order to provide for changes in the value of a company's assets
Synonyms: valuation reserve, valuation account, account
- [noun] the act of allowing; "He objected to the allowance of smoking in the diningroom"
- [verb] put on a fixed allowance, as of food