- [noun] the act of putting a person into a non-elective position; "the appointment had to be approved by the whole committee"
Synonyms: assignment, designation, naming
- [noun] a meeting arranged in advance; "she asked how to avoid kissing at the end of a date"
Synonyms: date, engagement
- [noun] (usually plural) furnishings and equipment (especially for a ship or hotel)
- [noun] a person who is appointed to a job or position
- [noun] the job to which you are (or hope to be) appointed; "he applied for an appointment in the treasury"
- [noun] (law) the act of disposing of property by virtue of the power of appointment; "she allocated part of the trust to her church by appointment"