- [noun] profane or obscene expression usually of surprise or anger; "expletives were deleted"
Synonyms: word, expletive, oath, swearing, swearword, cuss
- [noun] an appeal to some supernatural power to inflict evil on someone or some group
Synonyms: execration, condemnation
- [noun] an evil spell; "a witch put a curse on his whole family"; "he put the whammy on me"
Synonyms: hex, jinx, whammy
- [noun] something causes misery or death; "the bane of my life"
Synonyms: bane, scourge, nemesis
- [noun] a severe affliction
- [verb] utter obscenities or profanities; "The drunken men were cursing loudly in the street"
Synonyms: cuss, blaspheme, swear, imprecate
- [verb] heap obscenities upon; "The taxi driver who felt he didn't get a high enough tip cursed the passenger"
- [verb] wish harm upon; invoke evil upon; "The bad witch cursed the child"
Synonyms: beshrew, damn, bedamn, anathemize, anathemise, imprecate, maledict
- [verb] exclude from a church or a religious community; "The gay priest was excommunicated when he married his partner"