- [noun] an elaborate or deceitful scheme contrived to deceive or evade; "his testimony was just a contrivance to throw us off the track"
Synonyms: contrivance, stratagem
- [noun] a quick evasive movement
- [noun] a statement that evades the question by cleverness or trickery
Synonyms: dodging, scheme
- [verb] make a sudden movement in a new direction so as to avoid; "The child dodged the teacher's blow"
- [verb] move to and fro or from place to place usually in an irregular course; "the pickpocket dodged through the crowd"
- [verb] avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues); "He dodged the issue"; "she skirted the problem"; "They tend to evade their responsibilities"; "he evaded the questions skillfully"
Synonyms: hedge, fudge, evade, put off, circumvent, parry, elude, skirt, duck, sidestep