- [noun] one who works hard at boring tasks
Synonyms: drudge, er
- [noun] a politician who belongs to a small clique that controls a political party for private rather than public ends
Synonyms: machine politician, ward-heeler, political
- [noun] a mediocre and disdained writer
Synonyms: writer, literary
- [noun] a tool (as a hoe or pick or mattock) used for hacking the soil
- [noun] a car driven by a person whose job is to take passengers where they want to go in exchange for money
Synonyms: cab, taxi, taxicab
- [noun] an old or over-worked horse
Synonyms: jade, nag, plug
- [noun] a horse kept for hire
- [noun] a saddle horse used for transportation rather than sport etc.
- [verb] cut with a hacking tool
- [verb] informal: be able to manage or manage successfully; "I can't hack it anymore"; "she could not cut the long days in the office"
- [verb] cut away; "he hacked with way through the forest"
- [verb] kick on the arms
- [verb] kick on the shins
- [verb] fix a computer program piecemeal until it works; "I'm not very good at hacking but I'll give it my best"
- [verb] significantly cut up a manuscript
Synonyms: cut up
- [verb] cough spasmodically; "The patient with emphysema is hacking all day"