- [noun] the state of inactivity following an interruption; "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire stop in his seat"
Synonyms: arrest, check, hitch, stay, stop, stoppage
- [noun] the event of something ending; "it came to a stop at the bottom of the hill"
- [noun] an interruption or temporary suspension of progress or movement; "a halt in the arms race"; "a nuclear freeze"
- [verb] cause to stop; "Halt the engines"; "Arrest the progress"; "halt the presses"
Synonyms: hold, arrest
- [verb] come to a halt, stop moving; "the car stopped"; "She stopped in front of a store window"
- [verb] stop from happening or developing; "Block his election"; "Halt the process"
Synonyms: stop, block, kibosh
- [verb] stop the flow of a liquid; "staunch the blood flow"; "them the tide"
Synonyms: stem, stanch, staunch
- [adjective] disabled in the feet or legs; "a crippled soldier"; "a game leg"
Synonyms: crippled, ing, lame, game