- [noun] the part of the skull of a vertebrate that frames the mouth and holds the teeth
- [noun] the bones of the skull that frame the mouth and serve to open it; the bones that hold the teeth
- [noun] holding device consisting of one or both of the opposing parts of a tool that close to hold an object
- [verb] talk socially without exchanging too much information; "the men were sitting in the cafe and shooting the breeze"
Synonyms: chew the fat, shoot the breeze, chat, confabulate, confab, chitchat, chatter, chaffer, natter, gossip, claver, visit
- [verb] talk incessantly and tiresomely
Synonyms: yack, yack away, rattle on, yap away
- [verb] chew (food); "He jawed his bubble gum"; "Chew your food and don't swallow it!"; "The cows were masticating the grass"
Synonyms: chew, masticate, manducate
- [verb] censure severely or angrily; "The mother scolded the child for entering a stranger's car"; "The deputy ragged the Prime Minister"; "The customer dressed down the waiter for bringing cold soup"
Synonyms: call on the carpet, rebuke, rag, trounce, reproof, lecture, reprimand, dress down, call down, scold, chide, berate, bawl out, remonstrate, chew out, chew up, have words, lambaste, lambast
shmooze, shmoose, schmooze, schmoose, jawbone
chastise, castigate, objurgate, chasten, correct
tell off, brush down
lower jaw, mandible, mandibula, mandibular bone, submaxilla, lower jawbone, jawbone, jowl
upper jaw, upper jawbone, maxilla